Friday, March 20, 2009

Boredom...

I am now on day 12 of sickness. Two Sundays ago Lachen, Aksel and I went over to my friend's Scott's house to watch E.T. When we got home I told Anna that I was feeling like I might get the flu. The next day was the day the Admission Office sent out acceptance letters. So I mustered through the day with chills and sweats. Then it went downhill very fast that night. So I was absolutely miserable for three days and then went to the doctor. I got a chest x-ray which was inconclusive but showed that I have an enlarged heart unrelated to being sick. After not getting better for a couple of days a CT scan was ordered. That showed that I have pneumonia and two nodules. The nodules are benign so no big deal there. I now have new medication for pneumonia and I am experiencing some of the side effects like not wanting to shower or shave for three days (maybe that's just because we are on spring break though). On Monday I have an EKG for my heart. Again, it's probably nothing but good to get it checked. My blood pressure is fine so I'm not worried about heart disease. The enlargement is probably just due to something minor.

So that is the latest with me feeling the crummies. I'm bored as hell just sitting in bed or on the couch. I'm not sure whether I get exhausted walking up the stairs because of being sick or because I have not exercised in about three weeks. Probably a combination.

And now back to more exciting blog entries; just thought I should give a brief health update.

5 comments:

Katy said...

Thanks for the update. An enlarged heart sounds scary. What are the minor things that could cause this? I'm glad you're on the mend...and I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon with the antibiotics. Take care!

Elizabeth Brennan said...

My heavens, Shawn! What a terrible couple of weeks! I am glad you are seeing a doctor - take it easy on yourself, pneumonia is a tough one to conquer. We'll be sending good thoughts your way!

grampa said...

mnlilfterSorry you're still feeling lousy.
Take it easy and keep taking the meds. Keep us updated with your doctor visits.
Love you,
Dad and Mom
PS. Gusties are in the finals of D3 NCAA!

Jessa said...

Thanks for sharing, and keep us posted. What are you doing to kick the boredom these days? Do you have any good books going? I read The Tortilla Curtain, on your recommendation, and loved it.

AnnaShawnLachenAkselReilly said...

Yea! Shawn's heart is normal sized again! He's still exhausted and gets winded walking up the steps, but he's contained the issue to his respiratory system. He just borrowed 6 movies from our neighbors, and he's working through his backlogged stack of Rolling Stone, Time, New Yorker, and anything else within arm's reach. He's even watching some basketball on TV. Now we know he's REALLY bored.
Aksel in heaven, though, because he is starting to really dig b-ball :)